Airbnb is announcing changes to its security measures Wednesday afternoon following a shooting in downtown Toronto last week that left three people dead and two others injured.
Chris Lehane, the head of Airbnb’s global policy and communications, is announcing the changes at a news conference in Toronto, which started at 1:30 p.m. ET.
The shooting happened at a rented Airbnb in a downtown condo building on Friday night, near Bathurst Street and Fort York Boulevard. Police received several 911 calls at 10:21 p.m. reporting the sound of gunshots.
The victims have been identified as Jalen Colley, 21, of Brampton, Ont., Joshua Gibson-Skeir, 20, of Brampton and Tyronne Noseworthy, 19, of Toronto.
Toronto police announced on Tuesday that the violent shooting was likely a murder-suicide.
The incident raised concerns from nearby residents, who said there are persistent security issues associated with Airbnb rentals. It also prompted reaction from Fairbnb, a coalition of groups calling for more regulations for short-term rentals.
In a statement following the shooting, Lindsey Scully, spokesperson for Airbnb, said the company has “zero tolerance for this type of behaviour,” adding that no other safety incidents have been reported at that particular listing.
“We are deeply saddened by the tragedy that occurred in Toronto last night and our thoughts are with all who have been impacted — including the victims and their loved ones as well as the neighbouring residents,” Scully said.
“We have zero tolerance for this type of behaviour, and we ban both party houses and unauthorized parties on our platform.”